Methods of cost control: Capitation
As I have mentioned previously, the extension of health insurance to all Americans by 2013, as proposed by President Obama, will, by itself, do nothing to control the escalating costs of health care. Rather, by increasing demand without correspondingly increasing supply, there is every reason to believe that it will put additional upward pressure on the cost curve. A point of general agreement among health care economists is that the prevalent fee for service model for the delivery of physician, hospital and other professional services is a significant source of the cost problem. This model gives strong incentives to providers to direct patients toward more, and more intensive, services, and for both patients and providers to select services and procedures that have any possibility of a marginal positive result, even if the cost is vastly out of proportion to the possible benefit. Further, economically speaking, the patient and the payer (whether the government or private insurance co...
Those are some crazy car crashes....
ReplyDeletePretty interesting debate about censorship. I'm pretty far on the side of suck it up, but there are certainly real situations where that's not appropriate. I feel like my teachers usually mention something about that king of thing before they show it, typically. My bioethics prof was very careful to let us know when we would see something graphic. I think the notification at runtime is a pretty reasonable way to go.
Yep - I agree. I think there is a commonsense approach to that kind of warning that is quite reasonable. The over application of it, though, tends to have the opposite of the desired outcome: with warnings everywhere they all become meaningless.
ReplyDelete